Emergency Room Errors
Orlando, Ocala, Kissimmee, Brandon, Winter Haven, Florida
In the fast-paced environment of an emergency room, many things can go wrong, leading to the further injury or even death of a patient. While some of these may be unavoidable, many are the result of medical malpractice.
Every year, tens of thousands of Americans are sent home from emergency rooms prematurely, have their condition misdiagnosed, are given an incorrect prescription, or receive improper treatment which puts them at greater risk of further injury or death. If you believe that you or a loved one has suffered from improper emergency room treatment, Orlando emergency room malpractice attorney Stephen J. Knox can help you receive the compensation you deserve.
Causes of Emergency Room Malpractice
- Misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis – Diagnostic errors in the emergency room all too often have fatal results. Heart attack, stroke, traumatic brain injury, appendicitis, pancreatitis, and pulmonary embolism are a few of the more commonly misdiagnosed conditions that can be fatal if not treated immediately.
- Medication error – These include administering an inappropriate type or amount of a medication, giving pain medication to intoxicated individuals, giving the wrong prescription, or failing to prescribe medications such as blood thinners or clot busters.
- Partial, delayed, or refused treatment – Emergency rooms are legally required to provide medical care to any individual even if they cannot provide proof of health insurance. When they fail to provide treatment to a patient, the results can be devastating. These actions are not only reprehensible, but they constitute medical malpractice as well.
- Inadequate staffing or facilities – An under-staffed, under-equipped, or unsanitary emergency room is ripe for error. Many lives are lost due to inadequately trained emergency room personnel.
- Communication error – Miscommunication or failed communication of lab test results or other crucial information frequently comes up in emergency room malpractice cases.
If you live in the Orlando, Ocala, Kissimmee, Brandon or Winter Haven, Florida areas and believe you may have a medical malpractice case due to emergency room error, please contact our Orlando medical malpractice office today to arrange your free case evaluation with Stephen J. Knox. We also serve Bartow, Citrus, Mulberry, Plant City, Sumter, and Zephyrhills.