Orlando, Ocala, Kissimmee, Brandon, Winter Haven, Florida
Construction is a dangerous business. Of the total number of on-the-job fatalities in all industries, approximately 20 percent involve construction workers. Florida consistently ranks in the top three for annual construction worker fatalities. In addition, construction workers make up 10 percent of total non-fatal workplace injuries.
Although the safety standards enforced by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) have helped reduce the number of injuries in the construction industry, accidents and injuries are a fact of life for the construction worker. One in ten construction workers will suffer some type of serious injury in the next twelve months.
If you have suffered significant injuries working on a construction site, experienced Orlando construction accident attorney Stephen J. Knox can help ensure that your rights are protected.
Construction Accident Statistics
Of the total number of construction fatalities:
- Over a third are the result of falls
- Nearly a quarter are the result of work-related auto accidents or other transportation accidents
- Approximately 20 percent are crushed, struck, or caught by construction materials or tools
- Roughly 10 percent are the result of electrocution
- Laborers are most likely to be killed on the job, followed by carpenters and construction managers
Of construction-related injuries:
- Overexertion is the most common cause of injury, followed by being hit by an object and falls
- Sprains, strains, cuts, and lacerations are the most common types of injuries
- The back or spinal column is the most commonly injured region of the body
Construction companies and contractors are required by law to abide by certain safety standards. However, lax enforcement of these standards and general negligence continues to be a problem on many construction sites, putting hundreds of thousands of construction workers at risk of severe injury or death every day.
If you live in the Orlando, Ocala, Kissimmee, Brandon or Winter Haven, Florida areas and have been injured in a construction accident, please contact our Orlando construction accident law office today to arrange your free case evaluation with Mr. Knox. We also serve Bartow, Citrus, Mulberry, Plant City, Sumter, and Zephyrhills.